About Me

My photo
The adventure of my lifetime is finally here! I am spending a semester (3 1/2 months) studying in London, United Kingdom. Thanks for reading - I hope to keep my entries short, sweet, and interesting!!

Friday September 17th: No Class on Fridays! Ever!!

Yep, that's right: I will never have class on Fridays.  We may have class excursions and things, such as our ramble through Hampstead Heath last week, but we will never have formal classes.  This is designed so that we may travel freely on the weekends and have enough time to get to/from places without spending just one day in a location.

Yesterday morning we had a presentation from somebody with the Student Travel Advisory (STA) about plans for weekends and our week-long fall break.  I am so excited to get planning!  Erin and I are going to travel together for the fall break, but we have no idea where yet; any suggestions?!

Yesterday afternoon, after finishing classes around 2pm, my friend Marrissa (also a Puget Sound theatre major with me) and I decided to go on an adventure.  My cousin Kathy gave me this really cool book called 24 Great Walks in London which outlines 24 different mini-adventures around the city, taking one through pockets of history tucked away in the cobblestone streets and old brick buildings.  The choice for the day was "Jack the Ripper's Trail" and it was a great choice.  We were guided by this book on a 1.5-mile walk around the East End, followed in the footsteps of the notorious serial killer, and witnessed sights such as where this murder took place, or that body was found, etc.  It was kind of creepy - but so cool!  Marrissa and I are already setting a date for another "24 Walks" adventure next week!

That's about all I have to update on this lazy Friday; tonight Erin and I are going out to a pub in Harrow with a few other friends from the program; they have all been to this one and know the manager and a server or two, but it's a new one for Erin and I.  They have a live band playing tonight as well, so it should be fun!

Fun Fact/Quote of the Day:  Theatre is so sacred and engrained into the mind of the English, that nobody (from critic to neighbor to spouse) will ever spoil the ending of any play to somebody else.  A teacher of mine told us "One of the most closely guarded secrets in London is 'who did it' in The Mousetrap."

Answer to Yesterday's Riddle of the Day:  Because they're all "streets" (like Fleet Street).

1 comment:

  1. i hope we get a tuition discount if school is only in session 4 days a week! - Check your email regarding travel comments. Love, dad.
    PS> The Mousetrap Butler did it!

    ReplyDelete