About Me

My photo
The adventure of my lifetime is finally here! I am spending a semester (3 1/2 months) studying in London, United Kingdom. Thanks for reading - I hope to keep my entries short, sweet, and interesting!!

Thursday September 9th: More than Just Homesick

I woke up this morning with an awful pain in my throat.  Just as I was about to call out and ask my parents to bring me some medicine, I remembered where I was and that they are thousands of miles away :( 

It was at this same moment that I realized I drifted off last night without fully setting my alarm - and I only had 10 minutes before I had to be at the Tube station!!  I leaped out of bed, got dressed, ate breakfast, and gathered my things in record time.  Luckily I made it to The Centre on time - today's schedule began with my first class on Shakespeare.  As far as I can tell, my instructor Jean is crazy.

Between classes I ran to the pharmacy and had an experience that is truly the epitome of English hospitality:  I had not taken my entire wallet with me, and I was £1 short when the pharmacist rang me up.  Seeing my dilemma, instead of instructing me to put one of the medications back, she simply told me "Just bring it by whenever you can - no worries!"  These people are truly kind, polite, and trusting.


After my second and last class of the day, London: Biography of a City with Keith Surridge (who apparently works with my host dad!), I went straight back to the flat to get some rest.  And this is where I sit now: cozy on my bed, pumped full of decongestants, and looking forward to a long night's rest.


Tomorrow: Our class ramble (apparently, a "wandering stroll") through Hampstead Heath!


This Quote of the Day comes from my London Bio class:  Apparently the Australians (derogatorily) think of England as "The only 3rd-world country where you can drink the water."

2 comments:

  1. In reply to your trouble this morning with rushing out the door, might I suggest a song: "A Day In The Life" by the Beatles.

    "Found my coat, grabbed my hat
    Made the bus in seconds flat"

    I miss you Kaeline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaeline,

    What a great Blog! Love the United KINEdom - very cute. Sounds like you've had several adventures already and I look forward to hearing more. So sorry you are sick...wish you were here so I could take care of you but hope you will be better soon. Lot's of love.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete