About Me

My photo
The adventure of my lifetime is finally here! I am spending a semester (3 1/2 months) studying in London, United Kingdom. Thanks for reading - I hope to keep my entries short, sweet, and interesting!!

Wednesday September 8th: Classes Have Begun...

Today I was reminded of why I'm actually here all the way across the pond: to study.  The only class I had was Britain Today: Issues and Perspectives, the one course that is required for all AHA students.  It is taught by Martin, and I think it will be a very interesting look at the UK as well as a good opportunity for all of us to get to know one another in a classroom setting.

We also had our first class outing:  we saw The Merry Wives of Windsor at Shakespeare's Globe!!  This was a fantastically funny play, and I really enjoyed the entire experience.  Apparently it is an awful play to read, however, as the humor is only really evident in the staging and delivery of the script.  The Globe itself is beautiful, and we had "Groundlings" tickets, which means we stood on the ground in front of the stage for the duration of the performance.  Luckily, the humor took my mind off of the discomfort of standing for so long :)

Fun Fact of the Day: The term "box office" comes Shakespeare's Globe, as the manager (perhaps Shakespeare himself) would stand in the theater's one entrance holding a box for audience members to deposit their entry fee before proceeding to their seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment